During American Education Week in 1968, the Trigonometry Club of Pittston Area High School presented a contest called Math-O-Rama via the school’s closed circuit TV. From left, are Susan Morris, Carmen Falcone, Nicholas Costanzo, Carol Joseph, Irene Kleynowski, Arthur Pupa, Dominick Pupa, Richard Reggie, Matthew Amico, Ronald Bechtold, Richard Wesenyak, Bruce Polanchik, Charles Anderika, Joseph Babkowski and Stanley Polak. –
1953 – 65 YEARS AGO
The American Party Favor Company on North Main Street in Pittston was gearing up for the holiday season providing party hats, confetti, streamers and all types of paper decorations and favors to brighten holiday parties and business locations. The factory, one of two in the eastern part of the United States, was operated by Joseph Rosentel, who established the businesses in 1941. After World War II, the company found itself in a battle to overcome the flooding of US markets with cheaper products manufactured by Japanese companies. Rosentel’s answer to the problem was to design simpler products that required less material and labor. The company started with a work force of 40 people and grew to 115 by 1953. The plant, with an annual payroll of more than $150,000, endured disputes by unionized personnel over the years, but managed to gain stability and create many jobs locally.
1954 – 64 YEARS AGO
Pittston city merchants banded together to force city officials to have their previously confiscated pinball machines re-installed in their establishments after parents complained their children were gambling on the devices. City businessmen retained legal counsel and, after consideration, the pinball machines were re-installed. City council was then considering raising the fee for having a machine from $25 to $50 per year.
Joseph Ormando, of Elizabeth Street, Pittston, decided he wasn’t going to have a Christmas tree to celebrate the upcoming holiday. He explained that 300 years ago, there were no decorated Christmas trees as has become the custom. A presepio would be he and his wife Sara’s Christmas display in 1954. Ormando explained the word presepio means “the place where God was born.” The basic nativity scene measured six feet square and contained figurines of the holy family, shepherds and animals. Ormando constructed model homes, churches and other buildings displayed in the scene. The earliest…